Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Just Have to Say

I don't think I've ever expressed a social commentary on this blog, but this morning I feel compelled to do so. And, based on your feedback, maybe I will again.

Last night, we took the kids out to eat. The restaurant was loud and there was a lot to look at, which we thought would distract the kids while we waited. We were right. What I was surprised to see, and disappointed, too, was how the three tables around us all had teenagers/college students with their parents and ALL of the kids held their cell phones prominently in front of their faces and texted, what appeared to be, the ENTIRE time they sat with their famillies.

I'm not opposed to texting. But, at least for our family, who rarely goes out to eat, going to a restaurant is special. If you are texting throughout the entire meal, are you REALLY with your family? I just had this horrible vision of the future that had our family EXISTING next to one another, but not actually communicating. And it made me very sad.

I know that it is inevitable that my children will be owners of cell phones, and they, like the students I teach, will love to text - or whatever texting will look like in about five to ten years. But, I want to lay the ground rules now, because I want to KNOW my children, and my children know me. I want us to have memories about our shared experiences, not just being in the same room together. At a minimum, I want to eat a meal without a phone on the table, in the pocket, etc. Is the call or text really that important? It can usually wait. But time with my kids can't.

2 comments:

J. Carr said...

Much agreed. It disgusts me as well. Sadly, I too have felt the urge to interrupt a present conversation to find out who is attempting to contact me (via text or call). Yet it is a simple discipline to prioritize those you are with and exercise patience over the use of the phone.

All that to say, keep the social commentary coming Sis!

Anonymous said...

I share a phone w/ C and I don't Book Face. I am a little behind, but I love it. I am not "married" to any of these distractions! Yeah for me, and like J. Carr says, keep the social commentary coming. Thanks, A. Carr