Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Geese

I'm from ND, as you know. Not everyone from ND hunts, but many people do. It's just part of the culture. If you mention hunting here in WA/OR, people usually gasp and call PETA on their speed dials. Okay, it's not quite that bad, but you know what I mean. Animals, especially dogs and cats, get the red carpet treatment around here. I like animals, but I don't regard them quite that highly. I do, however, go crazy over deer sightings. There's just something about those four legged creatures that gets me every time. J claims that I have an eye for them when I spot them on our long road trips to ND. I secretely smile and feel very proud inside.

I don't necessarily feel the same excitement about geese as I do about deer. But, I do like them. I think it's because I love fall and winter, and when you see geese, you know fall is here and winter is coming. I don't know much about them, but I am intruigued by what I've heard. They fly in the V formation, for instance. How does that happen? Who decides who gets to be the lead? Or is that the worst place to be, because wouldn't he/she get the most wind resistance? I know these aren't deep thoughts, but their mine.

I also like geese, because my dad likes them. I don't think I've ever heard him say why, but if he paid attention to them, so did I. When Dad was out to visit us a few weeks ago, the geese were out in the farmer's field across from our house. He took A out to see them a few times, and I found that precious.

So, when I saw them out again today, as J was hanging Christmas lights, I had to take a picture. Not because there's anything so profound about them. But it was a sweet memory for me, of Dad and A, hand-in-hand, looking through the fence at those geese. Maybe she'll grow up to like them too.

1 comment:

c3 said...

The eye for spotting deer must run in the family! AJ can spot them from what seems like miles away. It's impressive!